Perhaps, when you entered the world of crypto, you've heard the name Vitalik Buterin many times, right? This is an important and influential person in the industry of blockchain , and cryptocurreny today.
In this article, let's find out who is Vitalik Buterin, and his career in blockchain and cryptocurrency!
- 1 Who is Vitalik Buterin?
- 2 Childhood and adolescence of Vitalik Buterin
- 3 Vitalik Buterin found his passion of Blockchain
- 4 Vitalik Buterin and Ethereum
- 5 Vitalik Buterin awards
- 6 Huge property of Vitalik Buterin
- 7 Some famous statements of Vitalik Buterin about Blockchain and the future
- 8 Conclusion
Who is Vitalik Buterin?
Vitalik Buterin is a Russian programmer. He is best known for being a Co-Founder of Bitcoin Magazine, as well as Co-Founder of Ethereum - the world's second most valuable cryptocurrency platform after Bitcoin.
Maybe you are interested in: What is Ethereum? Complete set of Ethereum for beginners
Childhood and adolescence of Vitalik Buterin
Here, I will take a look at some remarkable details of Vitalik Buterin's childhood and adolescence!
The young Vitalik Buterin was passionate about computers:
- Born in 1994 in Kolomna, Russia. His father was a computer scientist - Dmitry Buterin, who founded BlockGeeks.
- He is a Russian Canadians.
- He lived in Russia until he was 6 years old, then moved to Canada with his family.
- Since he was in the third grade at primary school, Buterin had been placed in the gifted student class - where he showed impressive talent far beyond the same age children. He began to realize he was interested in math, programming, and economics.
- The high school years at Abelard School - Toronto are the most interesting, and effective years for Vitalik Buterin, when he learned how to think, how to reason, and how to study.
- In 2010, his character in World of Warcraft had some changes due to the Blizzard update. Some articles said he was "crying while sleeping" when he realized how bad the centralized services could be. This event caused him to give up World of Warcraft. This was also a detail affecting Buterin's later thinking about decentralization.
In short, Vitalik from a young age showed his talent in math, programming and economics.
With his innate ability, and the educational environment to cultivate his talents, Vitalik Buterin has made discoveries about Ethereum since he was very young.
The media in the world consider him as "prodigy" or "young genius".
Vitalik Buterin found his passion of Blockchain
When Buterin was 17 years old, he first heard of the concept of Bitcoin from his father. This became a seed for his later development.
He began to have thoughts on how the government, organizations, and businesses centralized their operations.
According to him, the concentration of power is the root of all problems in the world. And what impressed him with Bitcoin was its uncontrollable nature.
He began to want to participate more deeply in this world by writing a blog post about Bitcoin for 5 BTC (about 3.5 USD at the time).
Buterin wrote for this site until it closed because there was not much interest in Bitcoin from people.
Portrait of Vitalik Buterin
In September 9, a person approached Buterin to discuss a new publication called Bitcoin Magazine. Buterin's position will be the co-founder, and contributor as a leading author.
When working for the magazine, Vitalik also worked as a part-time research assistant for Ian Goldberg - a famous cryptographer.
His writing also drew the attention of other crypto enthusiasts like Mihai Alisie, who co-founded Bitcoin Magazine with him.
Vitalik constantly delved into the world of cryptocurrencies and blockchain, participated in conferences, and talked with leaders in the industry.
Curious about the growing cryptocurrency, Buterin decided to drop out of college, and to start going around the world, learning, and talking to many people, especially the developers of Bitcoin.
Vitalik Buterin and Ethereum
At the end of 2013, after returning from the trip, Vitalik wrote and released the first copy of the whitepaper for Ethereum. Shortly after, he founded the Ethereum Foundation with the purpose of further research on cryptocurrencies.
In the same year - in 2014, Ethereum concepts and ideas were developed and published.
Buterin also announced the sale of Ethereum to raise fund, and to introduce Ethereum mining in an article. You can read here.
In 2015, Ethereum was officially launched and quickly became one of the leading cryptocurrencies in the world.
The blockchain technology that Ethereum creates is not just a digital currency like Bitcoin, but it is a blockchain platform that can perform many tasks.
By definition on its website, Ethereum is "an open source, global platform for decentralized applications."
The most special feature of Ethereum compared to Bitcoin is the smart contract and the Ethereum Virtual Machine.
The benefit they bring is that this blockchain can provide the foundation for the above development applications, verify, and enforce contracts in a decentralized manner. Therefore, decentralized applications can be developed on Ethereum to serve diverse needs in life.
In 2019, Buterin focuses on researching extending and security solutions for Ethereum.
Vitalik Buterin awards
As an outstanding young talent, Vitalik Buterin has received much recognition with a series of awards and honors as follows:
- International Olympic Bronze Medal in Informatics, 2012.
- Thiel 100,000 USD scholarship, 2014.
- World Technology Software Awards, 2014.
- List of Fortune 40 under 40, 2018.
- List of Forbes 30 under 30, 2018.
- Honorary doctorate from the Faculty of Business and Economics at the University of Basel, 2018.
Huge property of Vitalik Buterin
Thanks to the creation of Ethereum, Vitalik Buterin became very wealthy. According to analysis of Crypto Briefing on March 29, 3, the properties of Vitalik Buterin are as follows:
- The largest part of Buterin's assets is crypto, valued at $ 82 million.
- Buterin also holds a portion of cash, estimated at around $ 12 million. Thus, his salary will be about 140,000 - 250,000 USD.
- He also holds stakes in two startups valued at millions of dollar, Clearmatics and StarkWare.
As a young talent and the most influential person in the current crypto world, it is not difficult to understand that Vitalik Buterin is a millionaire with an estimated fortune of $ 100 million.
Some famous statements of Vitalik Buterin about Blockchain and the future
“I am truly grateful to have the opportunity to work in such an interesting and interdisciplinary field. That's where I have the opportunity to interact with prominent cryptographers, mathematicians and economists in their field, to help build software and tools that have affected tens of thousands of people all over the world, and researched on advanced computer science, economics, and philosophy every week. ”
“Bitcoin is processing less than three transactions per second. Ethereum has 12 transactions per second. Uber offers XNUMX drives per second. It will take several years for Blockchain to replace Visa. ”
Vitalik Buterin speaks at Disrupt SF 2017
"One thing that made me feel optimistic over the past year is that there's a lot of interest not only in terms of cryptocurrency, or buying ether and keeping it, but also actually using it to build applications.
“For the first time, we have broken the record of 500-hundred thousand transactions every day. And just in case you don't keep up, it's now seven transactions per second.”
I hope through this article, you have the most comprehensive view of Vitalik Buterin - one of the most influential figures in the blockchain and cryptocurrency industry today.
With the talent, vision and intense passion for the industry, Vitalik will undoubtedly take Ethereum to new heights in the future.