About Metamask and Arbitrum
What is MetaMask?
MetaMask, owned by ConsenSys, is a crypto wallet used to interact with the Ethereum blockchain, available for users as a web browser extension and a mobile wallet. As a crypto gateway, MetaMask can be used to connect to other blockchains besides Ethereum.
In November 2021, MetaMask surpassed the 21M Monthly Active Users milestone, making it the most popular Ethereum-based wallet. Later on, in March 2022, it raised $450M in a Series D round, valuing it at $7B.
Notable features of MetaMask:
- Friendly and easy-to-use UI.
- Easy to interact with other supported Dapps.
- An in-app DEX aggregator that allows users to swap ERC20 tokens natively.
- Data is owned by users who hold the passphrase.
What is Arbitrum?
Arbitrum is the Layer 2 Optimistic Rollup built to empower Ethereum with scalability, increasing the performance of the previous blockchain platform generation. In short, it inherits all the strong attributes of Ethereum, including security and decentralization.
Additionally, Arbitrum enhances the ability to handle more transactions with fairly low fees.
Arbitrum uses ETH as the native token, serving as the gas fee (the fee you need to pay to the network).
Highlights of Arbitrum:
- EVM Compatibility: Like other L2 solutions on top of Ethereum, Arbitrum is highly EVM-compatible at the based code level.
- Many major adoptions: Uniswap, SushiSwap, Aave, Curve, and other many-used protocols on Ethereum are integrating Arbitrum to their platforms.
- Permissionless and Security: Arbitrum maintains the inherited security of the Ethereum network with a high level of decentralization
Since Arbitrum is an EVM-compatible blockchain, it can be connected via MetaMask. Using MetaMask lets users interact with Dapps on Arbitrum such as Uniswap to swap tokens.
Furthermore, Coin98 Super App also supports Arbitrum. You can create Arbitrum wallets on the Coin98 Super App.
Learn more: How to use Coin98 Wallet on Coin98 Super App
How to add Arbitrum to Metamask in 3 steps
Metamask is available for download on mobile (iOS and Android) and web browsers such as Chrome, Firefox, Brave, and Edge.
This article will introduce how to connect Metamask to Arbitrum on the web browser, Chrome.
Step 1: Installing MetaMask Wallet
- Go to metamask.io/download.
- Click “Install MetaMask for Chome” to download the extension.
- Install MetaMask to Chrome and create a MetaMask wallet.
- Log in to your MetaMask wallet.
Your MetaMask will look like this if you successfully log in to MetaMask.
After MetaMask has been installed, you'll see this as the default user interface. Don't forget to store the passphrase someplace safe and secret so that you can recover the wallet if you forget the password.
Note: Passwords and paraphrases should never be shared or revealed to anyone.
Step 2: Connecting Metamask to Arbitrum
After logging in, MetaMask will set the Ethereum blockchain as default. To switch to using Arbitrum on MetaMask, we will walk you through the following steps.
At the top left corner of the MetaMask interface, select “Ethereum Mainnet” to drop down the menu, then click the “Add Network” button.
The web will direct you to the Settings page, where you can add a blockchain network. We will manually add Arbitrum One to MetaMask as we first use MetaMask. We just switch Arbitrum to other blockchains at hand in later usage.
- Network Name: Arbitrum One
- New RPC URL: https://arb1.arbitrum.io/rpc
- ChainID: 42161
- Symbol: ETH
- Block Explorer URL: https://arbiscan.io/
Fill in the network details and click Save.
Well done, you have successfully connected Arbitrum to MetaMask.
Step 3: Switching between blockchains on MetaMask
In the previous steps, you are introduced to connecting Arbitrum to MetaMask. If you prefer to connect to other blockchains, click “Arbitrum” as in the picture below to select your network.
That is all you need to know about how to connect Arbitrum to MetaMask. Coin98 Insights hopes the article is helpful to your crypto journey. If you have any questions, feel free to comment below.